Creating Accessible Documents: Word and PDF - Sydney: Vision Australia
Date and Time
Creating Accessible Documents: Word and PDF
Learn the fundamentals of how to create accessible Word and PDF documents in this highly interactive computer-based workshop.
Suitable for anyone who uses Microsoft Office and Adobe Acrobat, we’ll teach you how to ensure your digital documents are accessible to everyone, including people with disability or impairment.
Developed in accordance with WCAG 2.1 and best practices cultivated by our team of experts, this course is in alignment with the Australian Government’s Digital Service Standard.
This highly comprehensive course was designed for a general audience – no prior knowledge of accessibility is required. Taught on PCs, a basic working knowledge of Microsoft Office and Adobe Acrobat is recommended.
- Background to document accessibility
- How inaccessible documents affect different disability groups
- How people use assistive technologies to access content within digital documents
- Australian legal requirements
- Applicability of WCAG 2.1 and PDF/UA standards to electronic documents
- Techniques to create accessible electronic documents:
- Use of colours
- Text format
- Techniques for accessible Word documents:
- Images and alternative text
- Tables of content
- Text boxes
- Converting Word documents to PDFs:
- Use the built-in PDF maker
- Configure the PDF maker for accessibility
- Test the resulting PDF for accessibility
- Techniques for accessible PDF documents:
- Create, modify and check tags
- Test and correct the reading order
- Associate images with alt text
- Edit document properties
- Add bookmarks
- Use the TouchUp Reading Order tool
You’ll receive a comprehensive manual containing:
- Step-by-step instructions on how to implement techniques using Microsoft Office and Adobe Acrobat.
- The rationale for using specific techniques and positive impacts for the end-user.
- Explanations, examples, tips and tricks to help you apply accessible practices day-to-day.
Cost and Inclusions
Prices listed are per person, including GST. Catering is provided.
- Early bird (registrations confirmed more than 21 days prior): $715
- Group rate (registrations for 4 people or more): $715
- Full price: $795
You may only cancel your registration by written notice to firstname.lastname@example.org. If notification of cancellation is received by Vision Australia: (i) more than 14 days prior to the event, a full refund of your registration fees, less an administration fee of $16.50, will be provided; (ii) between 7 and 14 days prior to the event, a refund of 50% of your registration fees, less an administration fee of $16.50, will be provided; (iii) less than 7 days prior to the event, registration fees will not be refunded.
Phone: 1300 367 055
Date and Time
Your booking fee is supporting
Supporting people who are blind or have low vision live the life they choose.
Vision Australia's Digital Access team is proud to be the leading provider of accessibility and inclusive design training in Australia. Our public and in-house training courses enable professionals and whole organisations to achieve the highest standards in digital accessibility, inclusion and communication.