Design of green roofs & walls
Date and Time
In an increasingly dense urban form, green roofs and walls offer attractive green outdoor spaces that can deliver a cooler urban landscape and reduce stormwater run-off. This hands-on training will provide participants with knowledge and skills in the conceptual and detailed design of green roof and wall systems, including construction details and plant selection, via presentations, site visit and a group exercise.
The training will provide participants with knowledge and skills in the conceptual and detailed design of green roof and wall systems, including construction details and plant selection.
Who should attend?
Horticulturalists, landscape architects and designers, engineers and other professionals involved in the design, construction or approval of green roof and wall systems.
- Functional design to achieve multiple benefits including retention and at source re-use of stormwater; pollutant removal; ecological function; integrated design and aesthetics; cost effective maintenance and asset management; and improved human thermal comfort.
- Detailed design including:
- design objectives
- site context and orientation for solar, wind and other climatic conditions
- retention and at-source stormwater harvesting and re-use by passive irrigation or elsewhere within the building/surrounding landscape
- stormwater drainage, including sub-surface drains, inlet and outlet structures
- growing media specifications
- suitable plant species for green roofs and green walls for South Australian climatic conditions
- structural engineering considerations for buildings, e.g. weight loading of growing media etc.
- sites, contexts when green roofs, and green and living walls are not suitable design solutions
- safety considerations
- insurance considerations
- construction and installation techniques for green roof, green walls and green facades
- typical costs of construction and maintenance
- maintenance regimes and cost implications
- case studies over a range of scales and development types including:
- apartment blocks
- detached dwellings
Learning activities• Site visits Sanctuary Adelaide Zoo green roof
• Group design exercise
Learning resources• Presentation slides as handout
• Fact sheet – Green roofs
• Fact sheet – Living walls
Refunds are available 7 days prior to the event
Date and Time
Your booking fee is supporting
Nutrition for Aussie school kids
$1 = 2 meals