Inclusive Tourism Workshop - Port Macquarie (followed by Industry Networking drinks)
Date and Time
Inclusive Tourism Project and Workshop Series
Aim: Outline issues, challenges and rewards to improve service delivery in this space.
Who: Tourism business/property owners & managers, sales & marketing managers, decision-makers, customer service and front line staff, tourism association members and destination managers
What: 10 half-day workshops will be delivered at key hubs across the North Coast between Monday 25th November and Thursday 5th December and will be facilitated by Inclusive Tourism Pty Ltd.’s CEO and founder, Melissa James, a qualified access consultant and expert in this field. Follow-up operator support will be provided as part of this project.
Workshop content will include the following:
- Market definition - who, what and how including market size and opportunity for businesses
- Preconceptions will be addressed with examples of visible and invisible disabilities
- Case study examples will be provided including examples of quick wins and larger investment opportunities with ROI analysis. Relatable best practice examples will be provided that show both the commercial opportunity and practical routes to market to reach/service this growing sector.
- The practical steps for operators as to how to become a more accessible business will be explained.
- Examples of Access Statements, their purpose and usage will be explained and best practice examples for use by accommodation, restaurant, activity/attraction and transport providers etc., including alignment with ATDW accessibility criteria. Include:
- Attendees will be provided with tools to improve language, behavior and customer service standards.
Follow up support and feedback on draft Accessibility Guide for Workshop Attendees
- Following the Workshop, attendees with have a one-time opportunity to receive guidance and feedback on their draft Accessibility Statement from the Workshop Facilitator.
- At the end of the Project, each attending business will have an Accessibility Guide available for distribution via any channel.
- Each participant will be encouraged to accept a complementary 12-month listing on www.CanGoEverywhere.com.au website directory of tourism providers as part of the workshop delivery.
Project & Workshop Outcomes
- Improved awareness and knowledge of Inclusive Tourism among North Coast tourism stakeholders
- Workshop attendees will gain an understanding of the potential commercial opportunity of better servicing this sector
- Workshop attendees will gain tools to assess business operations and gain detailed knowledge of how small changes can yield improvements to improve customer satisfaction. They’ll learn how to make meaningful improvements to attract and service this sector and better understand respectful interactions, the importance of staff knowledge and training, language used etc.
- Workshop attendees will be supported through the development of a Access/Accessibility Guide for their own business including one-time feedback on their draft Accessibility Guide, and
- Gain a solid understanding of the practical application/distribution/use of these Visitor Access /Accessibility Guides and the commercial opportunity that may result.
RSVP: 22 November 2019